Saturday, August 1, 2009

Berit's New Motto: Not Fall & Crawl, Instead Fall & Ride a Hog

There are no photos for this one. And I'll explain the title of this post in a bit.

I wasn't planning on posting today since it was more of the same, studying and reading. I did meet up with one of my new classmates tonight for dinner and we hit it off great. He's from Madrid and already has a politcal science doctorate but wants to continue his studies. It was a good meal.

Then I got on the tram, the very last one of the evening to go the twenty minute ride to my far away hotel. Four stops in I realize that I don't recognize ANY stop names. I am on the wrong train yet again... This time in the middle of the night in Geneva. I get off fully prepared to walk but eyeing ATM possibilities to get a cab - very expensive. I fell.

Not literally, but it goes back to my mother's story about how I learned to walk. I'd start straight out across the middle of the room and fall but make it my crawling. Much of my life has followed suit, I go for where I need to get to and if I happen to fall, I'll crawl. Which is what I was prepared to do this evening.

So I found an ATM and a gentleman was just finishing. He asked me in French if the fireworks went off yet (it is like 4th of July tonight) but he had an English-American accent so I asked him if it was easy to get a cab or where to go. He said it was a pretty busy night and I told him I took the wrong train. We said where we were from, he's from New York. A couple full cabs passed as I tried to get more francs but he said he would give me a ride on his Harley Davidson. I wasn't sure but he gave me his card, he's worked for the UN for 13 years, so I trusted him and took a ride around Geneva on a very American bike! We even took a detour around old town Geneva with its winding tiny cobblestone streets! And of course I got home fine. And it was a lot better than crawling or walking or taking a cab.

It is such a strange story I had to relate it straight away. And now time for bed because I have to go to school tomorrow!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment