Monday, July 27, 2009

View From a Paris Hostel

I'm not sure exactly what time it is but it seems I've got the room to myself for a bit. I'm not minding the company, it seems appropriate that there always seems to be something going on--very Paris. I just checked the time, I guess it is almost midnight here. My schedule has changed quite radically from the bed at ten regime.

Last night I wandered through the Latin quarter and back up to my hostel, thoroughly enjoying the beautiful night. As I was approaching the hostel I ran into my Australian roommate, Pia. She and her friend Leo were looking for fun so we went down to a discotheque in Pigalle. At first they told us twenty euro to get in but as we were turning around to go one of the bouncers said we could go ahead in. We all danced, but I might have danced a bit more in the elated state I was in. It was nice to enjoy a night out with people instead of alone. When we left at 3:30am the club was really starting to get crowded. It was interesting to see the Paris nightlife.

Perhaps needless to say, I woke a little later and took my time getting ready. By the time I headed out I decided to go straight to a croque monsieur across from Notre Dame. I got a bunch of reading done as I made way through a ham sandwich smothered in broiled, gooey cheese. Yum!

Since it was rainy I decided that I would go to Centre Georges Pompidou since I missed an entire floor last year. I got there about two or three and was there until 9:30! So much to say about it but the main things were that they changed things up and over half of the artists they showed in their permanent collection were women. This is quite amazing. Women artists are often sidelined and under represented. There was also a huge showing of Kandinsky's work. It was interesting to see his progression through life.

Afterwards I grabbed a salad near the museum, hot goat cheese on toast, greens and tomatoes. Both places I ate today were dim and it seemed conspicuous to flash my super bright flash to take a picture. More tomorrow I promise.

Now I'm back, hoping to sleep well, we'll see if my roommates wake me when they get in. Thankfully I have one of those eyepatch things...
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

  1. I want to see a picture of you, my beautiful sister. Take one of yourself next to something! I can't picture you there without seeing your face too! Plus, I miss your face.

    ReplyDelete